Sunday 3 February 2013

January Review

So, the first month is over! 

...And I'm on schedule! Which I really thought wasn't possible! The aim was 2 recipes a week and that's just what I've done! Of course, not all of them has been a success (Cottage Loaf!) and some of them I already want to make again (Soda Bread)! 

There is defiantly some improvement needed, mainly in the areas of kneading and proving.

Kneading, I'm just too weak to beat that dough for 10 minutes! I'm getting better though, and I've found some tests to help me, such as the 'Windowpane Test' which can give you a good idea to whether the dough is kneaded enough. 

Proving, I'm just impatient, most of the time the recipe says it's ok to leave it just for an hour, which is what I mainly do but I know most of the time it's not ready as when I poke it - it doesn't spring back as fast as it should!

Making bread is soooo frustrating! First you have to mix it, then knead it then you have to leave it to rise! After that knock the air out of the dough which just deflates all what you've been waiting for! Finally, leave it to prove and then BAKE IT!!!!
It sounds like I'm moaning but I am! I know, it has to be done this way and I will get use to it and I'm sure when the results start getting better I will love this process! But making bread looks so easy! They make it look so easy and some of the recipes are! Actually, all of the recipes are if you get them right and if your patient with them!

But I am liking the experiencing, learning a lot! I only have a few more different loafs in the book and then we get onto favoured breads so that might spice things up a bit!!



 Some of the best outcomes!







And the worst...


                                   ...The one in the book looks amazing though!

No comments:

Post a Comment