Sunday 17 February 2013

Recipe 14: Ale Bread Rolls


What to say about Ale Bread Rolls? My hands smell of ale?! Seriously, I've washed them loads and it's still kinda there!
So, the big difference about this recipe is instead of water, you use ale instead! Measuring the ale was fun, it was so fizzy so trying to get the right amount of fizz took a little while!
It's the same process as the other breads, mixing it with your fingers and then the kneading process. When you start kneading, it's then you can really start to smell the ale! It's so odd, I've never eaten a bread with alcohol in it before let alone making it! With the flour, it was mainly strong white flour with a little wholemeal added in.


After the kneading process, it was time to leave it to rise. Once risen, time to divide into 60kg pieces. The recipe says that your meant to get 14 rolls out of it but I didn't think it was going too – but it did! So I had two trays of them.


Before & After









Next step is to roll them into a ball shape and place one of the balls in the middle and the other six around this, but very closely together! And then leave to prove. The tray I placed in the oven, came out fine, they looked nice but then I went out for dinner and left the other tray to prove for longer and then I would bake once I got home. After dinner when I came home, I think I might have left it too long, I didn't think it would be a problem? I'm trying to google and see if it is actually a problem! In the book, it says the longer the better but mine seemed to go flat again? No idea!!

Reviews? I couldn't really taste the ale, the ones in the book look a lot lighter than mine and I used the same brand of ale and everything! Everyone else liked them too!


No comments:

Post a Comment