Wednesday 16 January 2013

Recipe 6: Pitta Bread

Pitta Breads look really complicated don't they? Well, they aren't you're be pleased to find! I think everyone should have a go, especially if you're just starting to learn how to bake!

The main difference with this bread is that instead of butter in the recipe, there is olive oil instead, it really makes the mixture feel silky when your scrunching it all together, it's nice! And also because it's so smooth, it feels like its easier to knead, you still have to knead for the same amount of time and again I checked the dough by doing the 'Windowpane Test' to see when it was ready to prove.





















There isn't a lot of preparation that goes into this recipe at all, once you've done the usual – mix, knead & prove you can pretty much put it in the oven!


I placed a baking tray with a little sprinkle of flour in the oven to heat up while I rolled the dough into shape, it really helped later on as the breads just slide off, but I'm getting ahead of myself...
Back to after proving! You divide the mixture up and roll upwards from the middle to create that pitta shape! It advised to keep the other bits of dough under a tea towel - not sure why you did this...


Then once in the oven, they take no time at all! It's pretty worrying as you can't let them let colour which is fair enough but I feel like I've got an anaemic piece of bread then. But once I took the first batch out, the side that was on the baking tray had golden edges which made me feel better, like they were actually cooked! Of course I trust the recipe but still worried it wasn't cooked through enough!


Reviews? Well, they were well cooked through, everyone liked them, they turned out better than the wraps did anyway! Alice & Mum had them for their lunch the next day and I was asked to do them again for a dinner one night, then we can put chicken in them, etc. AJ said they were a 'good bake' haha.


Anyone see the advert for the Comic Relief Bake Off? Looks funny!


117 Recipes to go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment