Saturday 12 January 2013

Recipe 3: Wholemeal Loaf

Well, here we are, Recipe 3! Wholemeal Loaf.


Like the previous two recipes, this one is much similar, just a different flour. The Wholemeal flour is such a different texture though, it is much coarser. When doing the usual scrunching of the mixture, it did feel like the flour was much drier so I used all the water required, I was worried it was a bit too soggy but once I kept scrunching it a bit more, it was fine!




I kneaded the dough a bit better this time I think, in my previous entry I mentioned the 'Windowpane test' to see when the dough was ready. I think it does actually work as the actual finished product came out more lighter, it still needs more improvement but it's a start and there are a lot more breads to practice on! Of course, these aren't the best examples because of the Wholemeal flour but you get the idea!


I also left the bread for a lot longer this time, I think it was nearly two hours, I didn't want to leave it any longer though in case the structure got too weak and would start to fall back, it's tricky this bread business!




After this, it's time to knock the air out of the dough until it's nice and smooth. Then I shaped mine into a Cob again and did the cuts in the dough slightly different and not as deep this time! It took just over 30 minutes to bake completely and smelt so homely!






Reviews? My mum liked it, she is the Wholemeal Bread expert as the rest of us like White Bread but she agreed that it was lighter than the other two loafs so it must be that kneading getting better and maybe I needed to leave it longer to rise!





120 Recipes to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment