Sunday 17 March 2013

Recipe 26: Grape and Stilton Flatbreads


Now this bread was fun! Very different to all the types of other breads that's been in the book so far and from this recipe onward it gets more difficult and more unusual so the next few weekends will be interesting!


After all that spill about how different this recipe is – it starts the same as usual but you can't help that though – it needs to be done and this is how it is! Mixing the ingredients with your fingers again, my favourite part, I really don't know why, I just love it! Then time to knead which I let my sister, Alice try to do and she was surprised how tough it was! So not just me! After kneading between the both of us, it was time to leave it to rise!




















After the epic rise of the Maneesh dough, I expected great things from this one too but alas, it wasn't as epic! I'm going to blame Alice's kneading for this! Anyway so once this has risen, you divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and roll them into a ball – no need to leave them to prove again so this makes the process a lot shorter!


Once all the divided dough are in balls, time to add the Stilton and the grapes! I had the cheese crumbled and the grapes chopped in half already to go so all I had to do was make a dent into the dough and put both ingredients inside and then pinch the dough together – nice and easy!





The next part was really fun! So the cheese and grapes are in the balls of dough so next I had to roll these out with a rolling pin - very interesting! As soon as you roll them out you get sprayed with grape juice! I also had some trouble with grapes escaping from the dough! They do get very wet because of this and in the book it advises to lightly dust with flour.

Like I said, no need to wait for these to prove, time to fry them! On a hot pan with a little olive oil and fry both sides for around 2 minutes. The smell of cheese is just so strong from them and there were a few leakages but I guessed that was always going to happen. I think I should of rolled these out bigger than I did them but I don't think this added to much different to the end result just a lesson learnt for next time!



















Reviews? My Dad can't eat them as he is allergic to Stilton, Alice doesn't like the cheese in general, to be fair a lot of people are not keen on this type of cheese! But Mum and AJ liked it, I tried a little bit, it has a nice taste to it – I didn't try a lot though as I'm not the biggest fan of cheese!


To watch how to make this properly, see this link! I wish I had seen this before I made them! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ylQ9SLVjcI


Tomorrow night on BBC2 at 8.30pm, Paul Hollywood's Bread series finally starts! I'm so excited to watch this! There will be a lot of the recipes of his that I have already done and some that I haven't reached yet so looking forward to seeing how it's done properly and what to look out for in the future! Make sure you tune in!

No comments:

Post a Comment