Sunday 17 March 2013

Recipe 25: Maneesh



Manessh, have you ever heard of it? It's origins come from the Middle East. I wasn't sure what favour to expect...


It begins with the usual technique of mixing all the ingredients with your fingers, I love this part! Then time to knead for 10 minutes, I'm starting to get use to this now! I have to say, this is probably the best the dough has ever risen! It was nearly coming out of the bowl, I was amazed! Not sure what I done so differently but wow, I hope it comes out like this every time from now on!















Time to knock out the air of the dough, I think I really need to improve on this part! It comes out in an odd texture for me, not too sure why! The dough is then divided into three pieces and then I can't remember if I used a rolling pin or if this was stretched by hand, sorry!





















In between waiting for the bread to rise for 20 minutes, it's time to make the Za'atar paste for on top of the bread. There are a few different recipes for this over the internet, some have completely different ingredients but all of them have the same three main components – sesame seeds, dried thyme and dried marjoram. These three ingredients get mixed with a little olive oil until it becomes a paste.




Once the bread has been left, you have to drizzle it with a touch of olive oil and then brush the paste evenly across – though I added a bit too much paste on the bread and it was very thick!


This recipe makes 3 round breads, the first two I over baked as I always worry that it won't be cooked enough inside and then the last one I left to bake for the amount of time suggested (15 minutes) and it came out fine! It's not that I don't trust the recipe of course, it's our oven I worry about!


Reviews? My mum liked it, I didn't mind it but no one had the chance to try it really as I threw the rest away as I didn't think anyone else wanted to try it – oops! Oh, and I gave one to AJ and she seemed to like it too!




No comments:

Post a Comment