Wednesday 24 April 2013

Recipe 32: Seeded Bread


I know I say this with most breads, but I was generally excited to make this one, I was hoping it would come out as yummy when you buy a sandwich at the shops, love that bread but it was a complete disaster.

Firstly, I had to buy so many types of seeds which included sunflower, poppy, pumpkin, sesame, linseed and millet seeds, some of them not being the easiest to find. This bread baking is getting expensive! It's fine when your baking your normal average loaf but add a bit of favour and the price goes up!

In this recipe, there are 3 different flours used, strong white, wholemeal and the dreaded Rye flour that always manages to completely ruin my bread, I just can't get along with it, I have no idea where I am going wrong, following the recipe religiously and it just comes out like a slab of concrete!

I honestly thought this recipe would be okay as it wasn't completely Rye flour on it's own, it had other flours to help it on a bit but it truly ruins everything. It did rise a little but the dough goes so bad you can't even knock any air out of it!


The process was the same as all other breads, the mixing, kneading, rising, knocking and proving and in between time putting the seed mix into the dough, which I also make an error on, instead of 20g of Poppy Seeds, I put 80g, major fail on my behalf. I was looking at the picture in the book, thinking I can't even see the poppy seeds then realised my mistake, I got confused looking at the others as they were all mainly 80g, oops!


It's such a shame, I think when I've done all the recipes I will come back to this one and maybe try without the Rye flour as I really wanted to make Seeded Bread! I'm sorry I've basically just had a big moan off about how much I hate using this kind of flour but it's true, it never has worked for me and I follow the recipe to the letter so if any one has any tips of working with Rye Flour or where you think I am going wrong, please let me know! Any helpful hints would be greatly welcomed no matter how big or small!

Look how awful it looks!
Anyway, the next recipe looks yummy, look out for it soon! No baking this weekend as I'll be in Disneyland Paris!


No comments:

Post a Comment