Saturday 6 April 2013

Recipe 29: Gorgonzola, Pear and Walnut bakes


So what a mix of favours! I'm not a big cheese fan so I have to say, I have no idea what Gorgonzola was! The epic search through Tesco's to try and find it when it happened to be in front of me the whole time. For other non cheese eaters, Gorgonzola is basically the Italian's version of Stilton.


Again, this was such a fun bread to bake! It was very similar to the Breakfast Rolls, just different ingredients obviously!

It begins the usual way with mixing all the ingredients by hand until it has formed into a rough dough – I have to say I think mine needed a little more water in it but I was too scared in case it became soggy!

















Then comes my favourite part (sigh) the kneading process! It says you can do it for 5-10 minutes but there is no getting out of it, you have to do a solid 10 minutes and that's that! There is no running from it, a full 10 minutes! And of course, leave to rise. This one I left for just over 2 hours I believe!

I really liked the technique of the past 2 recipes so far, I find that it makes my bread a lot more fluffy and bakery like! When you take the dough out of the bowl, you roll it with a rolling pin, so no knocking the air out if with your hands as the rolling pin will pretty much do this and it works a lot better for me. I'm not sure if that means I haven't been knocking out the air good enough in my previous attempts but I will have to wait for the next hand knocking one!

















Once you get the dough into a rectangle shape (or kinda rectangle like mine!) you need crumble the cheese and place all over the bread, same with the crushed walnuts!

The next part is fun, rolling it all up into a sausage, you worry that the nuts are going to break through but they won't! Trust in your dough! When cutting the sausage shape into 2cm pieces, I cut the first one and then measure it up by that. The bits of dough that were right at the end were odd shapes though due to my poorly shaped rectangle.



















Then place on a baking tray and leave for 30 minutes, another thing that I like about these rolls recipes, you don't have to leave them to prove for hours! And then just before putting them in the oven, get your peeled pear pieces and stick them on top, pushing them into the dough.


















After this, bake them for 15-20 minutes and smell the lovely scent of bread, cheese, walnuts and pears baking across the house! It smelt amazing!



Reviews? But did they taste amazing? My Dad had one which I was worried about as he is allergic to this type of cheese but he wanted one! He liked them and luckily, no allergic reaction! My mum tried one too and both plates were cleared! AJ is having some tomorrow and being giving out to various people too, wonder what they will think!

Next weekend I'm going on a bread course for day, very excited! I hope all this practice makes me look good but I doubt it!

94 Recipes to go by the way, not bad! But as the book goes on, the bakes take longer, the thought of Sourdough and pastries scare me!

No comments:

Post a Comment