Sunday 25 August 2013

Recipe 42: Hot Cross Buns

I know I said that the last recipe was nice and traditional but this one is more so! I was so excited to bake these, I've always wanted too but they always seemed more complicated than they actually are so when this one came up in the book, I had no excuse to hide from it!

Like all the recipes, it started with the usual of mixing of ingredients and a few extras on top, such as sugar, egg and milk. Mix until a rough dough has formed and then it's time to knead! I think it is easier to need when there is a bit more added extras in the recipe, not sure if that's just my weirdness though! Once kneaded, it's time to leave to rise for an hour or more, depending what you are up too!

















Once it has risen, time to tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and scatter all the lovely ingredients that give it that traditional favour! Which includes sultanas, mixed peel, orange zest, apple and cinnamon. So a lot more favour than usually put into a hot cross bun but this definitely the way forward! Unlike the last recipe, after kneading the dried fruits in, it has to be left to rise again.


















When the dough has risen for a second time, it's that heartbreaking moment again when you have to knock it back down to size! Then divide the dough into 12 equal pieces (either by guessing or measuring) and roll into balls and place closely on a baking tray. Then once again, leave them for yet another hour, the last time!!



















In the meantime, it's time to make the mixture that makes that famous cross! All it is plain flour and water mixed together into a paste, as easy as that! Then place into a piping bag, to be fair if you haven't got a piping bag then a normal food bag will do, just cut a corner and it's the same thing really. Then all you have to do, go across one row horizontal and the other vertical and I have to say, it's really fun! I think the first bun had a little extra dribble on it but hey, it was my first try!




















Finally time to bake these beauties in the oven for 20 minutes and the house smelt lovely! When they come out, they are such a dull looking bun, so now the final stage was to add glimmer! Brush the top of the warm buns with apricot jam and leave to cool.


















Reviews? I think these were my parents favourite bake so far, I think my Dad ate most of them, he even had them for his lunch one day! By the time next Easter comes, I think I will be made to make these again!



I'm excited for the next recipe, it's very different and involves marzipan, I should be making it in the next week so watch this space! After that, just one more recipe in this chapter and then onto Sourdough (I'm a little scared!).

No comments:

Post a Comment